Re: [RC] FW: [RC] Wolfes attack for fun??? - heidi

Personally, I would say that you have "nuts" in every species.  For
example, a pack a wolves who are searching for food 24/7 because of a
lack of it may hunt horses out of neccesity.  A pack of wolves that
have an easy life and are strong from picking off pets may become
inflated, so to speak.  Out here are mountain lions.  Nature
documentaries show them in their natural habitat, away from humans and
pets.

Uh, Tara, these elk slaughters ARE away from humans and pets, and ARE in
their "natural habitat"--well, not quite, because they WERE transplanted
here from Canada, and were not here historically, other than a brief span
of time in the 1800s when they followed the livestock in here and then
were hunted out.  They have an AMPLE food supply--they don't bother to eat
the major portion of what they kill.

Our big game herds are being decimated--particularly the elk.  Live calves
that make it to weaning age are less than half the numbers they were just
a few years ago.  And the adult animals are getting hit, too.   They are
NOT out "searching for food 24/7"--they have such an ample food supply
that they are reproducing at rates well beyond what they were doing in
Canada, and yes, they hunt for the sheer fun of it.  Just like cats that
go out and catch and torture mice, and then just leave them there and come
in and eat their cat food...

(Actually, I misspoke earlier--other predators also hunt for
fun--certainly cats do--but they don't go on the big gang binges that the
wolves do.  As Bob said, a rogue cougar will sometimes go in and slaughter
sheep--but it is more typical of a cat to stalk one critter, and content
itself with one kill, instead of the herd slaughter scenario.)

Heidi

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown