Re: [RC] hillwork - Barbara McCrary

Of course, you must realize, I started at the walk, 22 months ago.  The poor horse thought I was killing him at first, just walking up our hills.  Puff, puff, pant, pant.....but gradually, gradually, he started to muscle up, to improve his respiration.  It is only now, after a long time of legging up and conditioning that he is increasing his speed.  His escape from the effort which he felt was beyond his capability, was to try loping.  I checked him up, back to a walk or trot.  Loping was very non-productive.  He is just about to reach the end of the first two years of trail training and conditioning.  It is said it takes about three years to make an endurance horse.  We'll see if he's going to be successful at it.  He's coming 8 years old.......he had a slower start in life, for which I am glad.  I don't believe in pushing a horse that is too young.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] hillwork

In a message dated 04/13/2004 4:42:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I think you will find that as your horse does more and more hills, his muscle mass will increase and "pushing instead of pulling" will become natural.  I started a virtual flatlander 22 months ago and you should see him now!  He does a running walk up the steeper hills and a trot up the more moderate ones.  Time and conditioning will take care of this issue.

I have conditioned in the Mountains for years on different horses. (All of which had no previous hill work)  While training it's best to walk up hills.  This will build muscle.  A horse will naturally want to trot or run up a hill, it's easier on him.  You are right about time and conditioning.  If you do this type of training, the hill is where you will make up the most time and distance in an event.  While you are pushing up, your competitors will be pulling up.

Phil
Leatherwood Mountains