Re: [RC] Racing - Joe Long

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:18:01 -0700, "Carol Stiles" <cstiles@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Truman,
While I agree with you, the more time to stop, the better,
ie. finish lines further away from camp, and if it protects
unknowing volunteers, maybe it's necessary. However, I
disagree with your experiences. Just because you've never
had a 1000 lb. animal stop on a dime, you "assume" that it
cannot happen. I assure you that it can and does happen,
especially with my horse. Furthermore I invite you to ride
my horse, Beau, if you don't believe me. But you better be
a damn good rider, otherwise you'll go over his head real
quick when he stops.: )
Carol

Part of the issue in this discussion is what people mean by "stop on a
dime."  But unlike many arguments here, this one can be resolved
objectively and unambiguously.

I invite any of the folks who say their horse can "stop on a dime"
from a full gallop to do the following easy test:

Have someone set up a video camera in a large open space.  Place
someone with a flag in a safe location within the picture.

Now, come galloping across the space from left to right at a full
gallop.  At some point, the person with the flag drops the flag.  When
you see the flag drop, stop your horse.

Play back the video, and note exactly where your horse is when the
flag comes down (where it first begins to move).  Note exactly where
your horse is after he stops.  Now, measure that distance.

Please post the results here; I think it would be enlightening.

Sure, this includes the distance your horse travels while you detect
the motion of the flag and signal him to stop -- but this is generous:
you're expecting the flag to drop, focused on the flag, where at a
ride danger can appear unexpectedly from many different locations.
There is also not another horse running with yours.  So your stopping
distance in this test will be at least as short as you could manage at
a ride, and probably shorter.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to do the same test with another horse
running alongside who does NOT stop.  Even the best-trained horse
might take longer to comply with the "whoa" when racing another horse.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland