Re: [RC] Racing - Truman Prevatt

A reining horse is not going 20 mph and most spooking horses are not going 20 mph. A reining horse doesn't have the room to get up to 20 mph. It all my years with horses I've yet to see one that once they got into a head on head race with another horse  wasn't so focused that you could bring them down in less than about 100 meters.

Or another way to look at it is at 20 mph a horse will cover almost 10 yards a second. Even if you could react in a second (which is doubtful) and the horse could react to your que in a second (which is doubtful) and stop in another second (which is doubtful) you already covered almost 30 years ( or 3/10 of a football field) by the time you could stop. Better to have a clear run out at the end - 100 meters would be very nice. I've seen finishes of 100 mile rides where the horses were so focused that it took almost a quarter mile to bring them back down.

Truman

Carol wrote:
Truman wrote:
Think about how long it takes to do an emergency stop in a car at 20 mph ( or 1/3 mile per minute which is 587 yards or almost six football fields). Then at least double or triple that distance for stopping a horse at 20 mph.

Give me a break, haven't you ever seen a reining horse or a roping horse stop at a sliding stop? Or better yet, ask Alice how fast her 1000lb horse can stop when he spooks. The problem is when the rider can't "control" their horse.
Carol

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.