Re: [RC] [RC] Racing - Truman Prevatt

With the Forest Service at least in the Southern region the Special use Permit grants the ability to hold an organized event on pulic land. It does not buy you any authority over the management and use of that land for the period covered.  At a ride two years ago we had a SUP but still had to share the horse camp with a club of about 80 riders when they showed up - actually most of them were there first and we ended up with a few endurance riders going home. At a ride last year (different Forest) we were told that we could not reserve an area of the camp ground - first come first serve for every one - and had to share all the trails with the day riders and other campers. The RM was given no management authority over anyone but the endurance riders. I suspect that is the management plan for all forest and probably even forest service regulations.

Yes we could set up a check area but it had to be out of the way of the normal flow and cause no impact on the other users. We had to follow the same incamp rules everyone else did - no gait faster than a walk, etc, so the riders had to walk in the last 500 meters from the trail head to the vet check area.  The RM would have liked to been able to close off of one trail (out of many) for the finish - but that was not possible.

Managing a ride under these ground rules can be a challenge but it is not impossible - you just have to be creative. Most people don't want to turned into a grease spot on the ground by getting into a collision with a horse and will move back when that options is presented - but if they won't you have no authority to do anything but ask. Gone or rapidly going are the days when an endurance ride can show up and take over and have control on public land. We are one of many equal trail users out there.

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
"...In some instances the RM has no authority..."

If an RM has not been granted basic crowd control authority from the owner (=government), or is not willing to take it,  the RM should not be running the ride.  The gov. personnel that I have dealt with when getting special use permits, have been very concerned about safety.  As an RM I have posted signs about the special use permits, and suggestions of alternate places to park and recreate during the ride.  The special use permit was the key.  One time I had to face down a four wheeler that was going to blast through my vet check area.  The idiot complained to the County Mountie.  Bad move, the sheriff explained that we had a special use permit and he (the driver) should go somewhere else that weekend.

Almost always, spectators (related or unrelated to the ride) will move back when told firmly, but politely "If you don't you may be trampled by a horse..."   Sometimes a potentially explosive situation can be defused by the RM or volunteer, spending a few minutes explaining what is going on.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.