[RC] stirrup length - Barbara Goldthorpe

I've ridden huntseat for about...hmm...12 years now, and I don't feel secure in the saddle with the stirrups at the 'correct' length.  After getting bucked off, I think I proved my point, at least to myself, that it's just not that beneficial to be riding with stirrups that short unless you are jumping.  I really don't enjoy jumping all that much and I'm longing to start dressage lessons.  I've seen many people falling off when they shouldn't have because they were leaning forward and their stirrups were too short.  This also leads me on to comment on instructors who insist that you push your heel down as far as it can go.  I would prefer to push my heels down as far as I'm comfortable with.  And I groaned to myself when I heard 'grip with your knees.'  Yes, grip with your knees, it'll provide a great pivot point for when you fall off.

Barbara Goldthorpe
bgoldtho@xxxxxxx

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb