Re: [RC] [RC] Racing - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...In some instances the RM has no authority..."

If an RM has not been granted basic crowd control authority from the owner (=government), or is not willing to take it,  the RM should not be running the ride.  The gov. personnel that I have dealt with when getting special use permits, have been very concerned about safety.  As an RM I have posted signs about the special use permits, and suggestions of alternate places to park and recreate during the ride.  The special use permit was the key.  One time I had to face down a four wheeler that was going to blast through my vet check area.  The idiot complained to the County Mountie.  Bad move, the sheriff explained that we had a special use permit and he (the driver) should go somewhere else that weekend.

Almost always, spectators (related or unrelated to the ride) will move back when told firmly, but politely "If you don't you may be trampled by a horse..."   Sometimes a potentially explosive situation can be defused by the RM or volunteer, spending a few minutes explaining what is going on.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875