[RC] scratches/ mud fever - Mary Golden

Count me in as another one battling scratches with horses!  never had an issue with it until we moved to this place in Northern New York.  One thing you may want to check (along with the remedies) is the  horses' selenium levels.  I was speaking of the scratches issue with my vet, since I have 2 horses who are having horrendous problems with it (to the extent that one has to stay inside whenever it is wet -- UGH!).  She suggested that a deficiency in selenium may also impede the healing of this.  So -- we did a blood draw --- voila!  The guy who had it worse is the one with a horribly low selenium count.  So, we are supplementing.  I should see a change in 3 weeks or so.  Until then, we are doing the same routine which seems to work best for him:  shaving his legs (not just fetlocks), letting him fully dry out, apply straight tea tree oil to the affected areas.  That seems to actually clear things up.

Mary