Re: [RC] Keeping one's seat (posting height) - heidi

My relatively biased observations are that some English show
instructors/riders exaggerate the post, much as QH show people would
produce peanut pushers when the standard said "low natural head
carriage".  They think that by posting higher, they or their students
will place higher at the show.  After awhile they all think that posting
means to rise as high as possible.

Disclaimer: I do not ride in the English tradition, so I may be
completely wrong.  If I am, please correct me gently.

Rae is right on this one, Ed.  The ultimate in English riding is to be
able to SIT the trot on even the sproingiest horse.  And the quieter the
seat even when posting, the better.

I WILL say that some of the saddle seat trainers I've seen are really very
poor riders in this sense, and earn their laurels more for what they can
force a horse to do instead of how well they are actually trained, and
that is regrettable as well as poor horsemanship.  But their students sure
won't place in the equitation classes if they ride like that!

Heidi

Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...
~  DH Lawrence