[RC] Keeping one's seat - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  I think a lot of this is less quantifiable than some instructors or authors
think it is. Photos of "correct" stirrup length and "correct"
hands...well,maybe. As one who has had MORE than his share of wrecks,I humbly
offer one suggestion to the ridecamp folks(most of whom are no doubt better
riders than me):consider longer stirrup leather length. I go by a riding ring
on the way home each day,and I see the young lesson girls posting to an absurd
height.How can this possibly be advantageous? Why would a rider want to be any
more than " a bit of daylight" above the saddle ? There may be some advantage
to this(?),but there is definitly a disadvantage in terms of polar momentum,and
"feel".When the ____ begins to hit the fan,the closer you are to your horse's
spine,the quicker you will feel it coming,and the more likely you are to keep
that seat.Chico taught me this.

sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt