Re: [RC] rattlesnake season - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

The vet (he's also our friend and vet too) seemed to
think the hoses were a
bad idea - yet every article and website I've seen
says to do this.  Any ideas?
Would she have been ok without them?

I have very limited experience with treating rattlesnake bites, but did work
on a horse last year in Colorado who needed an emergency tracheotomy (hole
cut into the trachea down along the neck) to breathe.  He'd been bitten
square on the nose and both nostrils were completely blocked---I would think
that a hose up one or both nostrils would have been a very helpful thing for
him, had not the owner gotten him into the hospital pronto.

JME, though, not sure if this was the exception or the rule.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM