Re: [RC] rattlesnake season - heidi

I have very limited experience with treating rattlesnake bites, but did
work on a horse last year in Colorado who needed an emergency
tracheotomy (hole cut into the trachea down along the neck) to breathe.
He'd been bitten square on the nose and both nostrils were completely
blocked---I would think that a hose up one or both nostrils would have
been a very helpful thing for him, had not the owner gotten him into the
hospital pronto.

JME, though, not sure if this was the exception or the rule.

I've been in rattlesnake country all my life, but have been fortunate that
all of the horses I've treated have been bitten on legs.  But
calves--that's another story--suffocation and/or dehydration from not
being able to drink due to the swollen mouth/face are the main things that
kill calves bitten in the face.  If we get them quick enough, keeping an
airway open in the first thing we do--but too often they aren't found soon
enough.

Even with dogs bitten in the face, the faces swell up like soccer balls
sometimes--had one that was rushed in (thank goodness) that nearly
strangled because his owner had not thought to remove his collar when his
head started to swell up!  At least dogs are natural and efficient
panters, so usually don't have quite as much difficulty breathing.

Heidi

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius