Re: [RC] The Great Vitamin Debate--attn. Susan - Mike & Kathy Kelly

I have had my grass (timothy/orchard) hay mix analyzed for the past few years.  I get good quality hay from SW CO.  Some years I need to supplement Ca, but not always.  Some years I need to supplement a little Se, but other years the Se tested high enough I wouldn't want to risk supplementing any.  The one thing that is consistent is that it is very high in Fe.  The problem with that is that it interferes with the absorption of Cu, so I need to add enough Cu to get the ratios close.  Then of course I need to check my Zinc and Manganese to get them in line with the higher amounts of Cu.

I've been surprised at how much variability quality hay from the same region can have from year to year (I even got a hay probe so that I can get samples from at least a dz bales so that I get valid results).  Last year my biggest surprise was that my grass hay was 18% protein - much higher than I'd like.  I didn't think grass hay could have that much protein, but the lab said it was because it was early cut hay.  I'll buy mine a little later in the season this summer.

Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ