Re: [RC] What exactly does Non-Toxic mean? - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...So, exactly what does non toxic mean? This chemical
causes birth defects, breathing problems, stomach
problems, etc... That is toxic in my book..."

What is the chemical listed either on the box or by the poison control
folks?  Since water when freezing and thawing, absorbs the most heat of
anything I can think of, it is usually the only or most prominent component
of "ice packs".   I can think of some other things that some manufacturer
may put in there that would be more or less toxic.  It is also possible that
something in the plastic (if it is vinyl) could cause the effects mentioned
above, but would be present in very small amounts and thus not a problem in
your case.

The "make 'em vomit" advice used to be standard advice from poison control
folks for people, but recently I have seen some stuff in my local paper that
modifies that advice.  If the "non-toxic" came from labels on the ice packs,
I suspect you or your horse can eat the stuff without any bad effects.

If the horse ate significant amounts of the plastic covering, your vet might
want to administer the mineral oil to help the stuff go through the horse.
Common plastic (vinyl, or polyethylene) is not toxic, but could plug up the
digestive system in large quantities.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris