[RC] RE Electrolytes/dehydration - darste3 - Jonni Jewell

First, I would have never put a damp blanket  from the mare, on to  the
gelding. Often the horse will get damp from the blanket, and chilled, then
you might have had TWO horses that were not doing well.

I feed very, very wet beet pulp mashes, in small servings when I haul long
distances. Keeps them hydrated, keeps the guts moving. I have a small ice
chest, that seals tight. I put the beet pulp and water in it, and head down
the road. At the next stop, that serving is well soaked, so I feed it, and
then mix another batch in the ice chest for the next stop. Using the shreds
or small pellets, it soaks up quickly. If the weather is warm, you can mix
with cold water, and the beet pulp will not go rancid in the ice chest by
the next stop.

The other thing to have considered, would be to have put both horses in one
trailer to haul. They are often more relaxed with company.

Jonni

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius