[RC] Leatherwood Ride - Part 1 - Jim Holland

"LEATHERWOOD - A deciduous shrub (Dirca palustris) of eastern North America,
having tough flexible branches, pliable bark, and small yellow flowers."

Leatherwood - Even the name makes you think of
Endurance....flexibility...toughness....and beauty.  I had planned to go
early and just hang out for a couple of days, but Joan couldn't get off work
and there was NO way she was gonna miss this ride.  I think it's the baby
back ribs.....or maybe the breakfast Sunday morning....or the convenience or
crewing there...probably all of those things and more.

We really love this ride.  Leatherwood has a history of hosting some
inclement weather along with the ride.  The first year I attended, it was
cold, cloudy, and damp, with the fog in the valleys looking like lakes from
the mountains above.  Even then, it was beautiful.  When the fog burned off,
the valleys below were bright green with miniature cows sprinkled across
them and the mountains "Blue Ridge Blue" in the distance. Last year, it
sleeted Saturday nite, and snowed all the way home, the worst year ever, but
it was still a GREAT ride, Magic's first ride and the only year I didn't
complete it.

We are 6 1/2 hours from Leatherwood, traveling thru the Beautiful Nantahala
Gorge, picking up I40 at Asheville, then over the Southern Divide in Pisgah
National Forest.  Spring came early to the mountains this year, and the road
sides and homes along I40 were spectacular.  Bright sunshine and the
temperature around 70.  Bradford Pear, Forsythia, Redbuds, Pink Dogwoods,
Jonquils, Daffodils and many other flowering trees all in full bloom. We
stopped at Old Fort to give Magic a stretch and get an Apple Pie at
McDonalds.  I hate the food there, but just love their pies! <grin>
Business was kinda slow and all the girls were hanging out the take-out
window looking at Magic, so we took him over.  He promptly stuck his head in
the window, gave one of 'em a sloppy kiss and wanted to know if he could get
a salad, no dressing, heavy on the carrots. :)

We arrived at Leatherwood a little before noon, and were again astonished by
the spring flower show.....the most beautiful we have ever seen it.  Last
year, Magic spent Saturday nite in his heavy blanket, standing in his
corral, which had turned into a lake from the heavy rain storm.  This year,
I decided to try a stall.  Was a little concerned that he would not eat and
drink well there, but he had a nice 12 x12 stall under the eaves on the
North side of the West Barn. He had a friendly guy on each side, could stick
his head out, and there were horses all around.  He happily moved right in
like he had lived there all his life.  Every couple of hours, we took him
for a walk to graze around the barns and paddocks.  We were relieved that he
was so relaxed and mellow.  Seems Leatherwood affects both horses AND people
that way! In addition, this would be the first ride in his new saddle, an RP
Avant Garde.  Lots to worry about.

We got Magic settled in and since we didn't need a corral, parked the
trailer off in a corner of a pasture out of the way, unpacked, picked up our
ride packet, broke out the refreshments and kicked back in the sun of a
beautiful spring day, surrounded by green grass, mountains and lots of
horses!  Now if you were to make a list of amenties you would like to have
at the "ideal" Endurance Ride, what would they be? How about:

Ridecamp nestled in a beautiful valley in the mountains with a creek running
thru it.
Rustic restored buildings, sparkling clean barns and paddocks, with MANY
large stalls.
A butt-kicking trail....you gotta bring a HORSE and know what you're doing.
No wimps or whining allowed!
Spectacular views on the trail.
A first class restaurant within 100 yards of your trailer.  (With some GREAT
folks serving you)
Great ride meals, with seconds. (How about Country Fried Steak, chicken
fingers, green beans, rice, salad, rolls, and banana pudding served hot from
a gourmet restaurant next door and 5 kinds of drinks ?)
Hot Showers.
Water faucets scattered all over the place.
Camping area with power and water.
Primitive corral camping in grass pastures.
Sheltered indoor arena with sound and a chalk board for the ride meeting.
Some of the best Vets in the SE....the head Vet is an Endurance Rider,
TRAINS here and knows the trails.  (Don't know fer sure, but betcha the vets
get treated like royalty here)
The best timer in the SE...probably the world....Nancy Gooch.
Rental cabins (actually private homes) with spectacular views, some with
pastures, rock fireplaces, and hot tubs.
Superbly marked trail with ribbons and pie plates with directions, notes,
and humor.
Water tanks at the top of every climb.
Bottled water for riders at every check point.
Horse Ambulance available for emergencies with radio communications.
Spotters at checkpoints to keep you on trail, and riders scattered across
the trail to monitor for emergencies.
A community of horse people who just love Endurance riders and turn out in
bunches to watch and help.
No Forest Service or BLM rules to deal with....100 miles of trail...all
private property.
A limit on the number of riders to prevent over crowding.
A GREAT "hands on" ride manager (Abbie Hanchey) and facility host (Phil
Rash).

Magic vetted in all A's, Joan prepped her crew area for Saturday, and we
headed off to the dinner and ride meeting.

After a great meal, Abbie, Phil, and Head Vet Duane Barnett discussed the
trail and vet parameters. Two loops back to camp, repeating the first one to
get 50 miles. Two vet checks with 50 minute holds, 64 pulse.  Controlled
start at 6:00 AM.  Hooked up with Becky Siler and her Moyle horse "Miles"
and planned our ride.  Completion was our goal.  Allowing two hours for
recovery and holds, we had 10 hours for the trail.  Three hours per loop
would give us an hour leeway.  However, I knew the trail well....the first
loop (and the last loop) were easy compared to the second loop thru Bob's
Branch...lots of elevation changes there.  We needed to make a little time
on the first loop, ease off on the 2nd one and save something for the last
one.

Next: The RIDE!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm