[RC] Training ride - Karen Williams

Last year I did my first LD in October.  We didn't finish because of a sore chest muscle (horse) -- he injured it the night before the ride in a fight with his new blanket.  Even though he passed the vet check, I knew he was not happy and pulled.  I've been gearing him up for our next "first" ride in two weeks, which will be a 30-miler.  I've been riding as much as I could around my neighborhood during the week and trailering off to a nearby park on the weekends.

I don't ride an Arab and have been a bit concerned about our slower speed and whether or not we can really do this within the time limits.   We trailered over to the park and had a really great ride.  You know, one that leaves you still glowing the next day and wanting to tell the world how wonderful it was.  Since I live alone and mostly ride alone, you guys are the only ones who would understand.  My horse was just wonderful -- he's a little 14h Paso Fino and he just ate up the trail yesterday.  We did almost 20 miles and averaged 5.5 mph (I use a GPS -- great little tool) and I wasn't pushing him hard.   I'm sure 5.5mph is crawling for the Arabs, but its enough speed for us to finish a ride!

All the trees are starting to bud and we saw some gorgeous little purple butterflies.  I got off and walked up and down some of the steep hills so he could practice keeping up with my pace and not running me over on the downhill.  He drank at all the streams and I stopped a few times to let him eat grass.  When we got back to the trailer, I unsaddled, let him roll and checked his heart rate.  59!!!

I'm just so happy today thinking about our wonderful ride yesterday.  Can't wait till next weekend and we can do it again.

Karen
(still smiling)

Karen Williams
Spotsylvania, VA