[RC] Skin Problems - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tess Searcy morabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message is directed to Joe & his problem with the black horse.

I too had a black horse & for years every summer this horse would rub until he
had oozing sores.  We tried every kind of bug spray & ointment we could find.
When finally we moved & the horse had to be put up during the day & go out at
night, no more sores & rubbing.  He was reacting to the fly bites, which then
caused him to itch.  So I was able to manage this by bringing him in during the
day & putting him out in the pasture at night.  While at rides I put a fly
sheet on & used bug spray.  During the rides we just went too fast for them to
bite much, LOL   I also went to feeding him apple cider vinegar about 1/2 a cup
in the feed.  I know for sure it kept the ticks off but I was told it helped
keep flies off too because they don't like the vinegar smell in the sweat.
Whatever it was it worked for me.  You can try it & if you still have problems
I would call the vet.  Good luck.

all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm