Re: [RC] [RC] Sunflower Seed Black Oil - feeding - Flora Hillman

I started feeding BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) to my horses just recently after reading about the glowing (pun intended) reports posted on The Chronicle of the Horse message boards.  It was advised to start with a handful of un-shelled seeds (make sure they are the black oil, not the gray striped ones), and then gradually (over a week) work up to 1 cup.  From what I've been reading, the Olympic team uses BOSS to put a super shine in their horses' coats, and that the seeds contain far more nutrition than corn oil (which has almost all the nutrition leached out of it by commercial processing).  BOSS is cheaper, too, IMHO

This particular thread was one of the best discussions  and best advice on feeding BOSS:

If the link doesn't work, just log into http://chronicleforums.com/6/ubb.x?, go to the Horse Care forum, go to the second page of topics, and look for the one thread header that  says  "FairWeather, feeding sunflower seeds ?"

My guys loved the BOSS the second they set their lips on it, while they openly dislike the corn oil.  As soon as their winter fur are shed, I'm hoping to see some super-duper results in their summer coats.  They've always had lovely coats, but this year I want to see an ultra-shine.