Re: [RC] [RC] Sunflower Seed Black Oil - feeding - Chris Paus

Have to tell you a funny BOSS story. I've been feeding
BOSS for about 8 years, before they became popular!

My horse Star knows after a good ride, he gets a nice
handful of BOSS. One day I forgot. We were through and
I just put him away in his paddock...

Every time I came outside, he was standing at the gate
just raising a fuss at me. I couldn't figure out what
was wrong.. then it dawned on me... I forgot his BOSS.
I gave him a handful and he was happy and walked away
and didn't holler anymore!

This horse also has learned how to tilt up the
birdfeeder and slide the BOSS into his mouth!

chris
--- Flora Hillman <capella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I started feeding BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds)
to my horses just recently after reading about the
glowing (pun intended) reports posted on The
Chronicle of the Horse message boards.  It was
advised to start with a handful of un-shelled seeds
(make sure they are the black oil, not the gray
striped ones), and then gradually (over a week) work
up to 1 cup.  From what I've been reading, the
Olympic team uses BOSS to put a super shine in their
horses' coats, and that the seeds contain far more
nutrition than corn oil (which has almost all the
nutrition leached out of it by commercial
processing).  BOSS is cheaper, too, IMHO

This particular thread was one of the best
discussions  and best advice on feeding BOSS:

http://chronicleforums.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=6656094911&f=5206053911&m=1256017521

If the link doesn't work, just log into
http://chronicleforums.com/6/ubb.x?, go to the Horse
Care forum, go to the second page of topics, and
look for the one thread header that  says
"FairWeather, feeding sunflower seeds ?"

My guys loved the BOSS the second they set their
lips on it, while they openly dislike the corn oil.
As soon as their winter fur are shed, I'm hoping to
see some super-duper results in their summer coats.
They've always had lovely coats, but this year I
want to see an ultra-shine.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland