Re: [RC] some folks dont speak arabian/jigging horse - heidi

No Heidi, sorry, I've been out west on her and seen elk a couple 100
feet away as we came up out of a canyon at Rich Childes wonderful ride
in CO she looked at - said not problem and off we go. She came on
several bear - stopped looked at them and they resolved the issue the
bear went on their way and we went on ours. We had an encounter with a
FL panther or two and she has jumped a 12 foot gator across the trail to
 go catch an Arab that spooked into the swamp (dumping her rider in the
swamp) when the saw the gartor. Arabs are nice horses - but give me the
mare any day of the week.

You can ride your Arabs if you want - that's up to you. But if my live
depended on it - I would not be riding an Arab. That just that simple.

I'm not suggesting that your TWH mare isn't great.  Just saying that that
is a trait for which classical Arabs are likewise noted--and if you
haven't ridden Arabs like that, then you haven't ridden a good one.

I'm not trying to "convert" you--just trying to point out that what you
have observed is not typical Arab behavior, but rather something that has
been bred into some modern ones for the sake of an artificial show
standard.  I've likewise seen TWHs the same way, but wouldn't criticize
the whole breed because of it.  You have a good old-fashioned
Walker--that's terrific.  But don't lump the "real" Arabs in with the
artificial hot-house variety.

Heidi

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm