Re: [RC] Walking on tarps - Karen Clanin

quite a few years ago when i was showing my little arab gelding in open shows focusing on trail class we were at a show at El Capitan Ranch when Chick Sheridan was there. Chick liked trail also. he had his trail class out in the open, not in the arena. his water obstacle at that one show was interesting.

keep in mind, at the time (the 70's) my gelding was the ONLY purebred arab being shown on the Santa Barbara show circuit. so, on this day, as each horse balked at chick's water obstacle all the riders (on their big quarter horses, appys etc) would turn and look at me and little Bub, you could hear the thoughts: "wait till the silly arab trys it!"

ok, so it came our turn and we walked up to it, he stopped and i let him lower his head, he blew, and went right through it.

what was it you ask, that was so spooky? chick had a natural 'pit' in the ground in which the hose ran on low all the time, into the water he put dry ice to create FOG and in the fog there were weighted baloons floating around.

i think Bub mighta been the ONLY horse that day that did it without balking. it's called trust.

karen
still miss that little guy!

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle