Re: [RC] APF - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Our country is subject to a rule of law.  For that reason, due process is
built into virtually everything.  While we can not intelligently discuss
whether a particular case was handled properly, unless we have access to all
of the information presented to all of the bodies, we certainly can disuses
procedures that are most likely to result in fair outcomes.

In general, the vet committee is in the best position to judge on the
severity of an infraction.  In a particular case, the P&G committee may
collect information that the vet committee did not have when it made its
recommendation.  When this happens, a specific procedure should be followed.
One possible policy would be that if P&G finds new information which causes
them to feel that the recommendation of the vet committee was inappropriate,
they would return the case (including both the new information and the P&G
reasoning and recommendations) to the vet committee for reconsideration.  If
upon reconsideration the vet committee still did not agree with P&G the P&G
would have the option of imposing a less harsh sanction than that
recommended by the vet committee.  Appeal to the board would also be limited
to upholding the P&G sanction or reducing it further.

If the AERC were to find that there seemed to be a pattern where the vets,
the P&G and the board consistently do not agree, they all should get
together in a room somewhere and not come out until an agreement had been
reached on what sanctions were appropriate for what infractions.

Does this sound time consuming, cumbersome, and legalistic?  Sure.  Due
process always is.  Our country is based on a legal system where the accused
is afforded many layers of protection.  Even though some go free, and some
are punished too lightly, it is surely preferable to the alternatives.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano