Re: [RC] APF - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I think we are closer than I thought.  Your reply appears to be a good summary of the situation in professional, and high visibility armature sports.  Our FEI sanctioned international competition is as close as we come to this type of situation.  The AERC does not control substance rules or procedures for the FEI.  I don't feel that international competition is part of this discussion.  If it is, I will have to put on my Sgt. Schultz hat: "I know nothing".

As far as the AERC is concerned:
You said: "...The issue gets back to sensitivity and cost..."

Actually just cost.  Since I have no reason to suspect that the AERC is squandering the Rule 13 test money that it collects, I conclude that the available moneys support the current frequency, and mode of testing.  If the members, through their elected representatives, wish more testing, we will have to find more funds.  I have already indicated that I would support an increase in the testing budget to at least $5 per ride entry.  As far as the issue of using urine vs. blood tests, that is all part of the allocation of a resource.  Would we get more bang for the buck with a more sensitive test, that cost more to collect and more to analyze, or would it make more sense to test more horses and raise the probability of catching a blatantly positive horse?  Note: urine testing would cost more per test  to do since two persons would have to follow the selected horse around until it peed.  This is significantly harder to do at a ride camp than at a TB stable.  To provide a chain of custody, every action by the vet during the collection of blood is witnessed by a disinterested person.  I have a neat video of this being done during a MN ride.

Your comment that professional sports figures are tested all year not just during the season, is interesting.  Your implication would seem to be that AERC should do this also.  We don't have enough money to test enough horses at enough rides as it is.  Hell, even if the money was available, many riders have no idea which of their horses will be campaigned the next summer.  Now the WEC horses are identified a year in advance, but that is international FEI competition and not what I feel comfortable in discussing.

Our point of disagreement would seem to boil down to whether "0", or some formal action level is best, and whether to ban all active substances or just a laundry list of substances.   The other list has had thread that a specific person feels that they were unjustly punished by the P&G committee when it did not follow the vet committee's recommendations.  If this issue has not been handled internally by changes of procedure, I would support a change to Rule 13, preventing the P&G committee from assessing a harsher penalty than the vet committee recommends.  We do want to leave the P&G committee in the loop, because their work is essential for due process.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875