Re: [RC] APF - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"By getting so "huffy" over such things as MSM, APF, DMG, etc., I believe we are missing the forest because we keep banging into trees looking for it. What we might have is the average honest rider who wants only the best for his horse's health is vilified while someone else who has developed an effective program using steroids for example that will allow them to effectively strengthen a horse in a six month period slowly but completely remove the horse from the drugs so they are "not competing on performance enhancing drugs", come into a new season - kick butt and turn a good profit for the horses for a hundred grand over seas go get absolutely no attention. How's that for a runon sentence. Our rules and testing procedures are totally inadequate to detect that but that is the threat. And if it happens and comes to light it would do irreparable damage to the reputation of the sport. "

What substances does the AERC test for?  Do you know that the AERC is concerned about  MSM, DMG, etc  to the exclusion of substances you desire screened.?  Do you know that the AERC is concerned about dandelions?  Do you know the name of the lab the AERC uses?  Does the AERC list stay the same from year to year, or does it change when new threats are discovered?

If you can truthfully answer the above questions, either I was lied to by Vet who was collecting samples for the AERC at a ride or there is a leak at the AERC.  This sample collecting vet claimed that the laboratory was kept secret by the AERC as was the substances tested for.

I will agree that more frequent testing should be done.  When I have competed for what I consider a full season, which is 9 or  10 rides I have been tested a bit less than one time a season.  Personally I would support increasing the drug test fee from $1 to $5 if it would yield 5 times the tests.  If ride fees went up by $10 to increase tests to a majority of rides I would pay with a complaint or two.  I'm not sure that the average member would consider that much of an increase money well spent.

The only substance that I know for sure is usually (if not always) is in the screen is bute.  I know it has been screened for in the past because sanctions have been given out.

I read Endurance News each month, and I have yet to see a rider "vilified" for an honest mistake.

My take on the web site partial list of banned substances, is that it reflects an attempt to answer the most frequent questions, not to list the substances the AERC is most worried about.

As for Regumate, I would support a campaign to remove the exception for this material.  Allowing the use of Regumate is a bad precedent, there is logic to your assertion that it is "performance enhancing", and there is at least one non-chemical alternative.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875