Re: [RC] APF - heidi

Our point of disagreement would seem to boil down to whether "0", or
some formal action level is best, and whether to ban all active
substances or just a laundry list of substances.   The other list has
had thread that a specific person feels that they were unjustly punished
by the P&G committee when it did not follow the vet committee's
recommendations.  If this issue has not been handled internally by
changes of procedure, I would support a change to Rule 13, preventing
the P&G committee from assessing a harsher penalty than the vet
committee recommends.  We do want to leave the P&G committee in the
loop, because their work is essential for due process.

Ed, I think you are onto something.  What we need to define here is how
the penalty phase works, since that is the area open to abuse by the human
factor sitting on the P&G committee or the BOD.  Although the veterinary
committee is also made up of the human factor, I think that the vets have
a better perspective about what the rule is supposed to accomplish, and
are not as apt to emote about the issue.  This should be the direction of
any action taken regarding Rule 13--not altering the intent of the rule by
trying to make some stab at defining threshholds for specific drugs.

Heidi

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM