[RC] Horses/Outside Weather & HERD problems - Karla Watson

My horse would probably not be a stall weaver had he been raised on pasture. I got him at age 8 after years of prior owners keeping him in a stall too many hours out of the day. He was very bored and upset being in a stall and will weave and rock for hours.

I finally moved him to pasture 24/7 (with adequate shelter) and he has never been happier (or dirtier!). I do board which gives me the option of finding alot of nice pasture. This year we are going to be buying horse property (yeah!!) so I might not have large pasture since we have a budget.

I have found that putting endurance horses in a "herd" type environment is tricky. I am currently moving my 2 horses to their own pasture cause I had such feeding problems with them living in a herd of 10. Fighting over grain and hay makes it very hard for endurance horses to get enough food from other horses that aren't fed so much. Segregating 10 horses twice a day is almost impossible. My sweet gelding became very food aggressive and was fighting with everyone to get his food. He lost that battle too many times. As much as I hate moving my horses I am learning about this pasture herd thing. Everyone says they are happier in a herd but it becomes very hard to feed them right.

And for anyone who has boarded horses....boarding sucks.....(can't wait to have my own place.)

Karla Watson