Fw: [RC] Horses Outside/Weather - jennifer a berger

When I was younger my mother agreed to bring my horse from Colrado who was living with my dad To Illinois so I could ride him while I was in school.  My poor horse!!  He was use to Colorado winters in the mountains,  he grew a fuzzy coat and got really fat running his 50 or so acres.  When we brought him to Illinois we had to keep him in a stall at a boarding facility.  It was a beautiful barn all the horses were very well cared for.  But my horse was miserable.  He lost weight from swaying in his stall and was a very unhappy horse.  We could not keep weight on him and he was almost impossable to ride.  We turned him out twice a day and you can tell that was the highlight of his day.  He missed his acreage, he missed the cold winter months of Colorado were he enjoyed trunching through the snow because he could.  He didnt mind any of that because he was free to rome were he wanted in the cold or the very muddy weather.  It was clear he had to go back.  We sent him back and I rode him in the summers in Colorado were he was very happy.  Livin life and gettin fat in exposed to the harshes elements.  15 years later I have acreage of my own and my husband and I built this lean too and fenced off the paddock so when it is too muddy in the pasture he does not rip it up.  After all that is his food for the summer.  Here he is also in the elements with three other horses.  As I write he and his buddies are sitting in " a mud hole " and I think they love it.  That is the impression that I get when the role around in it.  I give them everything they need and they love me for it.  They are healthier and happier living outside and my vet would agree.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Horses Outside/Weather

I agree with you on this.  In our country, it rains but not snows.  It never gets below the high 30s in winter.  Their paddock is muddy.  I feed them plenty and they weather the winter successfully.  We have pasture, but I don't turn them out because their favorite game is going to the top of the hill to the water trough, then galloping wildly down the hill, putting on the brakes, and plowing up 10 foot long furrows in the pasture.  Very shortly, there IS no pasture.  I keep them confined in a large paddock so they can exercise, but they can't damage the rest of the ranch.  They are ridden when the weather allows.  I don't consider them abused.  If it's raining, the wind is blowing and a horse is shivering, then I will put on a waterproof blanket.  There is a rain shed, but two of the horses dominate it and won't let the third one in.
I once was looking at a horse to buy, and when the owners found out that I didn't stall our horses in the winter, with hot and cold running water and carpeting on the floor, they refused to sell to me.  Oh well...........

Barbara