Re: Fw: [RC] Horses Outside/Weather - Elaine Delbeke

At a horse breeders conference a few years ago, the ideal temperature
for horses was stated to be between +5 Centigrade and minus 5 Centigrade
(20-42F)

We have 30 horses out all winter long in up to 40 below.  They normally
paw through the snow till Christmas if the pastures are in good shape
and the snow is not too deep.  One year we did not feed till late
February as the snow was light.  And we have been accused of overfeeding
them - even when they aren't being fed.  They run on 180 acres in the
winter and shelter in the trees.  They have some sheds, but they
actually prefer to stand in the trees or a coulee.

They run enough that even trimming is not required much until the deeper
snow comes.  Then it is the back feet that need the most attention as
the fronts are kept short from pawing.

When we do put hay out, they still paw, and when there is little snow,
they will ignore the hay and preferentially eat the greenery hidden
under the snow.

We have and old mare and a stallion we keep in a barn, but they really
don't like it much.  They race outside given the opportunity.

The snow is about 2 feet deep in the fields right now and temperature
about 25F - perfect riding weather - they really trot out in the snow
and it is really quiet - plus with all the reflected light on the snow
you can ride all night if you want.  Great time of year for
conditioning.

From the Great White North

Wayne Delbeke

--
Lazy ED Bar Canabians (Canadien Arabian Crosses)