Re: [RC] Pulse-Punishing - Jim Holland

Angie, this is exactly why we need to have PUBLIC Vet Committee reports
on EVERY horse that dies at a ride.  Tools are available to the average
AERC member to analyze data that rival those of the best Veterinarian.
Just as we use the experience of other riders to train, feed, etc., we
could use information on deaths to recognize the mistakes (and we ALL
make them) of others and learn from them.  It's not about fixing blame,
it's about education, experience, and learning from a tragedy. It also
generates an constant little niggle in the back of the mind of all of
us, that "Yes, your horse CAN die at an Endurance Ride" if you are not
vigilant. At this point, we don't have a good way to track those that
die at home afterward, but dang, let's start with the ones we CAN track!

I don't think we will ever eliminate deaths completely because of
existing conditions in the horse and injury.  However, ANY horse death
should be investigated thoroughly, mourned by the entire membership, and
the circumstances should be a matter of public record. Even a small
"memoriam" in EN would not be inappropriate. A horse that gives not only
everything, but his all, deserves at least that. Hopefully, he will not
have died in vain.

Here's an example of another member's concern:

A email written to AERC, which was acknowledged by AERC and referred to
the Vet Committee.  This was the request:
"Hello,

As an endurance rider, I am continually educating myself on how to
better take care of my horses. To this effect, I'd like to read the
reports
on the 6 horse fatalities that took place during AERC sanctioned rides
this
year.

Where can I get copies of these reports? Thank you,

This was PRIOR to my request.  According to this member, there was NO
reply from the Vet Committee. Is this acceptable behavior from the AERC
directors?

I'm infuriated and depressed over this and this miserable weather is not
helping! AERC members, if you care, get off your butt and do something
about it!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

Rides 2 Far wrote:

I'd like to see the deaths separated up into freak accidents (like the
one at Hahira), badly timed natural causes, and over riding. Of those due
to over riding...how many were ridden by people who are beginners...and
on the other extreme how many ridden by people who are starting to *hope*
to make money selling horses.

Angie