[RC] re: new rider proposals - Cindy Collins

Statements like this from inexperienced riders DOES make me physically
ill.  Those folks who founded the AERC (and their associates) weren't
Jefferson and Franklin, but they were visionaries in their field of long
distance riding:

"What does it take to amend AERC by-laws since the initial set of them
was established 30 some years ago in someone's kitchen?"

If only we had their wisdom NOW...most of us got in to this sport instead
of CT for a reason.  None of this garbage about New Riders addresses the
root of this discussion because none of us has the guts to take it on.  We
are all too afraid of lawyers or someone looking at our own failings.
Someone very close to me made the following suggestion:

"Maybe a "3 strikes, your out" rule is in order.  Don't make it totally
retroactive, but keep a record of riders' known kills.  Write it so that
a rider who has 2 or more documented kills at the time of the rules
passage will be out if they kill another.  So, if "the rider" kills a 4th
"the rider" is out.  If you don't like "out" make it for 3 years, like WY
G&F does when a poacher gets caught.  An amateur sport does not exist for
- and cannot make its rules for - the benefit of those who might find a
way to make a living off of it. "

It's not my idea, but it makes alot more sense the all of the garbage I'm
seeing proposed.  I just wish people who chose not to take responsibility
for their horse's welfare would go ride CT where someone can be their
external control.  That sport is already in existence and is a wonderful
venue in its own right.  Some folks just need to move over to it.  Cindy