Re: [RC] re: new rider proposals - Truman Prevatt

Maybe some historical perspective. If I heard right the Tevis will be run for the 50th time this year. This places the first endurance ride in 1954. That was just 6 short years after the transistor was first envisioned and about 6 years before it ever found it's way into commercial use. Dwight Eisenhower was president and there were no interstate highways. It was 3 years before Sputnik was launched by the Soviets to usher in the space age. Jim Crow laws were still firmly entrenched in the US.

While the AERC didn't come about for some 18 years, I suspect the principles that went into the formation of the AERC were shaped during the early years of endurance riding that started in 1954. There have been massive technological advances - the computer you are sitting at has thousands of transistors. We have had two massive social movements since then, the Civil Rights movement and the Viet Nam War protest movement. These have inexorably changed the social character of the the latter half of the 20th century.

A lot has happen since 1954. Social norms have changed and what is acceptable has changed. Just as society has changed since the first endurance ride, the membership of the AERC has changed since the first members. It started almost like a regional organization and then spread over the years as endurance riding spread over the country. New members have from new generations have brought their own sense more diversity to the organization. I suspect the demographics of the AERC membership is vastly different than it was 20 years ago.

So today it seems we are standing here with an organization that is somewhat a dichotomy. I see a lot of these debates more a reflection of that dichotomy than as debates on the issues themselves. And when such dichotomies have arisen in other situations, one part of the dichotomy is usually unhappy with whatever resolution.

I have no idea how it will play out, but the one thing history teaches us is there is only one constant - that constant being there will be change.

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:

Statements like this from inexperienced riders DOES make me physically
ill.  Those folks who founded the AERC (and their associates) weren't
Jefferson and Franklin, but they were visionaries in their field of long
distance riding: