[RC] [Guest] pace riders for novice horses - Ridecamp Moderator

"Jenny Davies" <jennyd1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hi, I'm an Australian rider who has taken a few horses through the novice ranks and thought I could add to the discussion.

Angie, you don't have to ride in a bunch of other novices. As long as you don't come in under the minimum time allowed for that ride you can ride with whomever you like. Or nobody.

I hope I don't get jumped on by other Australian riders for admitting this, but there have been times when due to normal ride dynamics (some slowing down for toilet stops, others needing to let their hoses bowl along at a faster speed for while, whatever) when I have been ahead of the novices' pace rider for some sections of the trail. As long as I didn't come into the vet checks ahead of the pace rider it was okay. Some novices want to stay with the pace rider if she or he is setting a pace that suits their horse, or if they are timid. But myself, as an old(er) rider who usually trains alone, really like to do my own thing although I'm happy to conform to the minimum time as I believe it is a good idea for most novice horses.

The worst thing about the system is if you get a pace rider who is really slow and that can happen for example if their horse is having an off day or they need to babysit their kid around. I find that frustrating but as I would never volunteer for the job myself I don't think I have any right to complain. Well, not much.

Bye

jenny