[RC] Hills in Rhode Island/SE Massachusetts - Linda B. Merims

Jennifer Judkins <jenjudkins@xxxxxxxxx> said:

We live in RI and it is pretty flat here...

The oldies around here say that the place to find hills
to train on hereabouts (Rhode Island/SE Mass) are:

The Blue Hills in Milton.

  Virutally forgotten except by the horse farms that still
  exist on its outskirts, but who keep very much to themselves.

  I'm told this is the best place for hill training for
  GMHA.  It is actually horse friendly, as it is run by
  MDC instead of DEM, and the rangers use horses
  to patrol.  I stopped by there one day to talk and
  tripped over a ranger who was a horsewoman.
  She took a map (excellent) and marked it up with
  several good routes, and told me which sections
  of trail to avoid.

   Notoriously rocky.

Foxboro State Forest

 Just off Route 1 right by Gillette Stadium--where
 you see all the antennas at the top of the hill.
 This is my "home park."  It's small (800) acres, but
 abuts the Foxboro Town Forest which brings the
 total to about 1200.  Has pretty good hills that
 require steady climbs of a mile or so.  The Forest
 Superintendant Ron Clough is wonderful.  This place
 is also mountain bike central, so your horse should be
 prepared.  You can get a good seven or eight mile
 ride in here without backtracking despite its small size.

 Rocky.

Diamond Hill State Park

 This is in Cumberland, RI.  It's small, but it's basically
 one big hill (they do skiing on it in the winter).
 Diamond Hill was actually transferred to the town
 of Cumberland some time in the last decade.

 This park is right near me, yet I've never been.  It
 deserves exploration.  It may end up on the reject
 pile, but then again, maybe not...

Feeling adventurous?  My horse doesn't have snow shoes
behind, so I'd want to wait until the ice is turning
to slush.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@xxxxxxxxx
Massachusetts, USA