[RC] Hopkins/Hidalgo - Linda B. Merims

Great pic!!

Charlotte, does the article say in what town the
ride ended?  Aleppo, perhaps?  "Syria" is kind of
large :-)

The ideal find would be some kind of "Aden Daily
Times," an English-language newspaper published in
Aden, with daily dispatches from some intrepid
reporter following the race.  Only problem is,
I have no idea whether any such publication ever
existed.  The British administered Aden and the
southern Arabian coast as the Aden Protectorate
from 1836 to 1967.  (Aden was the main refueling
stop for steamer traffic to and from India.)  I
gather the head office was in Bombay.  And of
course they had their fingers in everywhere else
along the Persian Gulf.  Iraq and Syria were
under more direct Ottoman control, but
the French were doing alot of running around
Lebanon and Syria.  The British had also taken
formal control of Egypt in 1882, but, as I
said, Aden reported to Bombay.

Linda B. Merims
Massachusetts, USA