Re: Re: [RC] New Poll up] - Heidi Smith

>Heidi, no offense, but this "I've been doing it for 30 years and I know more than the rest of you" is getting a little tiresome. I personally don't care if you have 50 years or 1 year in Endurance...your opinion is of no more value than any other member. One person, one vote, majority rules, and your opinion doesn't count any more than mine or anybody else. If you're not part of the "horse death" solution, you're part of the problem.

Sorry that longevity offends you, Jim.  I had the impression that you share your experience to back up your opinions as well.  Guess what is good for the goose must not be good for the gander, eh?

That said--"part of the problem" is the emoting and exaggeration that goes on and gets in the way of real solutions.  Howard's inflated numbers caused some offense, and clearly not just to me, as I see others are commenting as well.  The only point about "30 years" is that in NO time in that time have I seen anywhere near Howard's numbers having problems--and that isn't just my opinion.

I'd submit that the emoting is getting in the way of real progress here far more than the stagnation that you suggest.  And furthermore, I DO take offense at the suggestion that those of us who would like to inject some realism into the discussions are not "part of the solution."  A great many of the best new ideas still seem to be coming from folks who have been around the sport for awhile.  That isn't to say that new folks don't have good input--many do.  But to discount the "old war horses" who have been around the block a few times is a mistake.  I still see contributions from the likes of Kerry Ridgway, Bob Beecher, Jeanie Waldron, Barney Fleming (not as many years as some of 'em, but he's sure caught up with regard to the "mileage"), Mathew M-S, Dane Frazier, and several others that I would sure hesitate to call "stagnant" or "part of the problem."  And I don't see them running polls under the assumption that public opinion will have some magical effect on horse deaths, or even posting inflamatory posts designed to whip the emotions about the subject--I see them out working on the problem.

Heidi