Re: [RC] BLM adoptions at Rides - David & Maggie

I understand that many people may get a free horse and then neglect it so the price should be raised much higher to prevent this.

But how many of you are now educated and dedicated horse lovers because someone gave you a horse you would not have been able to afford? You made mistakes, but you did your best to take care of an animal that maybe you got because no one else wanted him. You grew together and you are both better beings because of it.

I have given away many horses to homes that would not have been able to afford the price tag on a 'good horse', but they were a wonderful home for a horse that may not have fit into the program here.

We all start somewhere. Sometimes it has to be at the bottom.

I know sometimes people get a free horse for the wrong reason, but sometimes people pay a fortune and the animal is thrown away. To some, $125 is a fortune. To others $5,000 is pocket change.

My first horse cost $100. She wasn't registered. She wasn't pretty. But she was the answer to a little girl's prayers and the beginning of a lifelong passion. She was very old and wasn't with us very long, but she taught me many life lessons.

Maggie in Ohio

and
Sheba ?-1979  $100
Missy 1977-gone?   $25 stud fee 50 LD miles
Jewelene 1972-gone? $470
Bubba  $350 stud fee 2,500+ LD, CTR, AERC, R&T miles
Secret  free   500+ LD, CTR miles
Kasey   free  75 CTR miles
Lily   free   1500? CTR, LD, AERC miles
Lucky    free   15 CTR miles!
Shadow $900 150 CTR miles
Jazzy $1,000 100CTR miles

And all of them many, many, many hours of being lesson horses for dozens of youngsters and rookies.