[RC] BLM adoptions at Rides - Howard Bramhall

Why are some folks getting so upset about all of this?  It seems to me that BLM is looking for ways to improve the chances of these horses going to good homes.  Those who came up with this idea are right on about endurance folks being a logical choice.  We have some of the best horseman in the world and it takes a really good one to train a wild feral horse and make them ride-able.

This is a good thing.  It's called a partnership for a reason.  We benefit by aligning ourselves with BLM concerning trails, which, in case you haven't noticed, are kind of necessary to put on an endurance ride.  They ask, from us, to try and place a few of their horses into good homes.  Hey, you don't have to buy a raffle ticket.  And, if you win, you don't have to actually take home a horse you do not want.  If you're so against the program then don't buy a ticket.

I'm a little wacky when it comes to horses.  I feel that every horse on earth deserves to live with someone who will take care of them.  Radical, I know, because there are those who think superior breeding is the only thing that counts.  I disagree.  I think what is more important is what is inside one's own heart, their love for horses and the desire to put the needs of a fragile creature ahead of their own.  If we, as horse owners, don't take care of them, who will?

The thing is, why is it all about endurance anyway?  Don't some of you own horses that you would never consider entering in a 50 or 100 miler?  I own three that I would not run in endurance, ever.  It doesn't have to be entirely about the sport, does it?  Can't it, for once, be about the horse?  Someone has to own these horses unless we plan on slaughtering all of them.  Why can't it be an endurance rider?  No one is forcing you to do anything here.  We need to hook up with as many agencies as possible to survive, and BLM is a good choice, no matter how you feel about their program.

I think it's an interesting and courageous idea.  Hey, if the riders don't like it, it won't work.  No one will buy a raffle ticket or take home one of these horses.  My guess is, some of these honorable creatures will find homes.  I've seen too much heart at our rides for it to turn out any other way.

cya,
Howard