Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] BLM adoptions at Rides

Well, I already replied to this exact same post on the AERC list, and Howard didn't like my answer there, so I'll rephrase it.

AERC is about endurance riding.  AERC's involvement and endorsement of the program makes a public impression that the BLM mustangs would make good endurance mounts.  We just got done with a thread in which we (and Howard quite frequently and vocally) discussed the need for AERC to investigate deaths and treatments, and to find ways to reduce same.  One of the often-mentioned items was horse selection and horse suitability.  So now, on one hand, Howard would have us trying to educate riders about horse suitability, and on the other hand, have us merrily embracing an adoption program that is largely made up of horses not suitable for the sport.  I gave this a label on the other list, and Howard didn't like it.  OK, Howard, I won't put a label on it here, but it sure is strange that you can so wholeheartedly embrace the death/treatment issue, and then turn right around and suggest that it is a Good Thing for us as an organization to endorse horses that are likely not suitable for the sport.  I'll let others fill in the blank here.

As for the lack of suitability of some of your horses for the sport, Howard, good for you for recognizing that, but again, I'll rephrase what I said on the other list.  Over there, I stated that I didn't feel I had any like that, other than a couple with physical injuries, and your response was pretty much, "Who cares?"  Well, Howard, the same goes for the lack of suitability of the ones you have.  Who cares, unless you bring them to a ride?  Their existence is not germain to the fundamental conflict here, which is the fact that AERC is espousing an adoption program of largely unsuitable horses.  We all know that unsuitable horses exist--hey, that was a part of the whole death/treatment thing.  They shouldn't be out there in the first place.  And therefore, AERC should not be endorsing them.  Is that so difficult to grasp?  BLM should be seeking partnerships with sports or activities to which more of them ARE suited.  Our three therapeutic mustangs would make great poster children for BLM.  But not for endurance!  And I'll reiterate what I said in the beginning of this post--AERC is about endurance....

Heidi