Re: [RC] Mustang Conformation - Heidi Smith

I'm not here to defend or castigate wild/feral/BLM horses, or to deny
that many have extremely unfavorable conformation, but I encourage folks
to revisit Dr Deb Bennett's Principles of Conformation Analysis I in
particular Chapter 5, "How to Look at a Horse: Is that really a fault, or
is it the reasoning that's flawed?"

On pages 72-73 are illustrated "The Four P's" of conformation: Perfect,
Primitive, Pathological and Pathogenic. The "Primitive" body type, while
not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye as the "Perfect" model, features
the following virtues:

abundant bone
feet in good proportion to the body (neither too big nor too small)
straight front legs
large, flat joints
deep chest
deep, strong loins

Thanks for bringing Deb into it, Roberta.  She has some excellent points.
And I agree with her insofar as what we consider "pretty" is not necessary
to function.  Deb also has good information about the long backs--yes, those
with long backs may well be sound, but Deb's own information gives a lot of
insight into why they are not efficient athletes and are not well suited to
weightbearing.  (They do compensate somewhat in this case by the sheer
strength of the loin.)

The main things I've seen in BLM mustangs have been (in addition to the
already mentioned long backs) extremely upright shoulders (again, leading to
a rough ride and the need to expend a great deal more energy to cover the
same ground), very poor forearm-to-cannon ratios (Deb has good info about
this as well--and how this also causes the horse to have to expend a great
deal more energy to cover the same distance), and in several cases, some
pretty severe angular limb deformities.  I can live with the "uglies"--Deb
is right that the large head, the coarseness, etc. do not interfere with
function.  There is a great variation in conformation that will survive in
the wild.  And there is a good reason why we don't ride cows, or elk, or a
great many other ungulates.  They simply do not have the conformation to
make sustained travel efficient while carrying more than themselves.
Survival in the wild has to do more with the ability to skedaddle quickly
for a short distance--not at all what we ask our horses to do in this sport.
Concussion is not an issue, because the feral horses do not travel at speed
in a sustained fashion for any appreciable distances.  Metabolically,
sprinting is more of a survival skill than going for hours and hours, so
there again is another place where "natural selection" does not select for
endurance prospects.  Depending on the area, bone ranges from downright tree
trunks to pretty poor, and everything in between.  (If you think good bone
is something selected for in nature, take a look at an elk sometime--the
bone comes from infusions of draft breeding, as many ranchers turned out
draft stallions for years, and rounded up the resulting foals as light work
horses.  And it isn't generally there in herds where this was not done.)
The bottom line here is that the qualities you find are closely related to
what sorts of horses were turned loose in the first place--and that is all
across the board.

Heidi