Re: [RC] It's not the distance... - Joe Long

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:28:49 -0400, Jim Holland <lanconn@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hmmmm...so let's see....based on this post, you would "for":

Repealing all speed limits on highways, because it's the driver's
responsibility to drive in a manner appropriate with the road conditions
and his vehicle. If someone gets hurt or killed, it's just part of
learning to drive.

Hmmmm, the last time I looked, there were no posted speed limits on
the Indianappolis track.

Repealing all the DUI laws, because people should be responsible enough
to know that they shouldn't drink and drive. If they don't, then it's
just part of learning your "drink limit".

Hmmmmm, the AERC has had drug rules for a long time ...

And many other similar situations.....

Are you saying it's acceptable to sacrifice horses so people can "learn"
to ride, train, and pace properly?  It's just the "Endurance Way"?

That is your interpretation.  Could you please tell me the last time a
horse was "sacrificed" by a novice rider in a 25-mile ride?

IMHO, the "NO MORE RULES" argument is beginning to smell like "death".
If there is a POSSIBILITY that a new rule(s) will benefit the horse,
dang, let's make one! If it doesn't, then we can REPEAL it!

Well let's see, it's POSSIBLE that a rule that says "anyone reaching
the finish line at any AERC ride in less than one hour per five miles
of trail is disqualified," would benefit the horse.  But if the AERC
makes such a rule, AERC rides will no longer be endurance rides (and I
would never ride one).

My apologies if I mis-interpret what you said in this post, but that's
how it comes across to me.

By definition, by the fundamental character of the sport, endurance
rides do not have minimum time limits.  LD rides are supposed to
reflect endurance rides, at an introductory distance ... minimum time
limits change them into something else.  And no one has provided any
*evidence* whatsoever that a minimum time for beginning riders would
provide any benefit at all, to make such a drastic change worthwhile.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx