RE: [RC] a year of 25's - David LeBlanc

Deanna German said:

Howard wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is we need to do something here. Dane
Frazier has suggested that a horse spend a year doing LD's
before doing
their first 50 miler. ?And, he adds that the horse should do
a year of
50 milers before doing their first 100...

Have to concur with Heidi on this one. The two LD's I did on
my mare taught her nothing, zero. (They were good for me to
learn the competition format without having to worry about my
horse and I saw some GREAT trail!)

I'd have to assert that Heidi isn't a very good judge of what a newbie might
learn from an LD ride. So far as I can tell, Heidi's only done 2 LD rides,
and those were after some 5000+ miles of endurance. Heidi knows a good bit
about endurance, but her perspective is a lot different than someone new.
Heidi learned what she knows in a different way, and that seems to have
worked well for Heidi, but might not be what everyone can do. Not every
rider is a vet, either. I used to get A's in math by ignoring the teacher
and only doing homework once every 2 weeks. Worked for me, but I don't
recommend it.

That said, I don't think I agree with Dane's esteemed opinion on this one,
though I do agree with his sentiment that too much too fast gets you in
trouble. I also think that there's too much variability to make hard and
fast rules - I did have the experience of riding with a woman on her first
50 earlier this year - it was her first endurance ride of any kind, and she
and her horse were in better shape at the finish than I was. Certainly not
typical, but it happens.

I'd assert that there's some things that _could_ be learned from LD rides,
like not to get caught up in the excitement and to ride your own ride. If
you don't learn that before you try a 50, the results could be ugly. It's
also the case that 50's are run a lot faster than LD rides in general. On
average (and yes, I have numbers to back this up), if you took the winning
time of an LD, doubled it, and stuck them in the 50, they'd end up around
18th (yes, there are exceptions, but this is an average over 100's of rides
compared). I recently had the experience of doing a very slow, tough 50 with
the 30 mile riders on the same sequence of loops. My first 30 miles was an
HOUR faster than the winning 30 mile rider. To be sure, my horse is in shape
to do that. Even the back of the pack 50 mile riders run the first 25 miles
at about a middle of the pack pace for a 25 (no hard data on this one, just
what I know from pacing myself through a bunch of slow 50's).

I'm glad I had 5 LD rides under my belt before I tried a 50+ mile ride. I
learned a lot from it. If I'd made some of the same mistakes on 50's as I
did on 25's, it could have been a bigger problem. IMHO, instead of assuming
we can't learn anything from 25's, maybe we ought to try and see what _can_
be learned. Not everyone should just jump into 50's - some exceptional
people can, and if they have a good mentor, then they're in even better
shape. I do know there's things you won't learn very well on an LD ride that
you do have to learn to do 50's, but I still think there's a lot that can be
learned from LD rides, esp. for a new rider. It's also very likely the case
that Deanna learned these things doing CTR, but not every new endurance
rider has 500 miles of CTR to start with.

Sorry to have rekindled the dread LD debate yet again, but I do think people
can learn from LD - I know I did.