Re: [RC] a year of 25's - Heidi Smith

I'd have to assert that Heidi isn't a very good judge of what a newbie
might
learn from an LD ride. So far as I can tell, Heidi's only done 2 LD rides,
and those were after some 5000+ miles of endurance. Heidi knows a good bit
about endurance, but her perspective is a lot different than someone new.
Heidi learned what she knows in a different way, and that seems to have
worked well for Heidi, but might not be what everyone can do.

Sorry, Deanna, I attributed the above to you, when it actually came from
David LeBlanc.  My posts are coming out of order, and I replied to this
through Bob's reply to it.

Again, David, my observation came from watching scores of very
well-intentioned newbies inflict shorter distances on horses for whom it was
not suited as I vetted them on ride after ride.  I think the most dramatic
demonstration of this was Mary McGinty's horse Rabou several years ago, who
finally put her in an ambulance with a serious concussion after doing a few
too many LDs.  As I sat with Mary and her then-SO Terry Huff waiting for the
ambulance, as Mary drifted in and out of consciousness, Terry asked me what
the best thing to do with Rabou would be.  I told him to take him to the
next ride and do a 75.  Which he did.  The horse went on to be a top-notch
100-miler.  I've seen this scenario repeated time and time again
(fortunately sans the ambulance)--when it is time to move up, the horse
NEEDS to do so!  Even if that is at his very first ride, if, like Tiffany's
horse, he has already been doing the distance.....

Heidi