Re: [RC] a year of 25's - Deanna German

on 10/17/03 3:28 PM, Heidi Smith at heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'd have to assert that Heidi isn't a very good judge of what a newbie
might
learn from an LD ride. So far as I can tell, Heidi's only done 2 LD rides,
and those were after some 5000+ miles of endurance. Heidi knows a good bit
about endurance, but her perspective is a lot different than someone new.
Heidi learned what she knows in a different way, and that seems to have
worked well for Heidi, but might not be what everyone can do.

Sorry, Deanna, I attributed the above to you, when it actually came from
David LeBlanc.  My posts are coming out of order, and I replied to this
through Bob's reply to it.

Don't worry about it -- you and I have discussed this before and I have had
a change of opinion, so I'm not suprized you thought I was on the other
side.

The other change of opinion I *might* be having is to possibly agree with
you that a hard 50 is better for them than an easy 50. I just attended a
ride (Scioto Run) that was held over some rugged terrain and the 50 milers
headed out of camp at a working trot and most maintained that for quite a
while, as I understand it.

Meanwhile, at the same ride, the LDer's, who started 15 minutes later,
overtook the 50 milers and came into the first vet check in front of the 50
miler frontrunners!

David, your statistics on LD vs. endurance get blown out of the water if the
first 4 or 5 LDer's across the finish line get pulled or if they get pulled
at the first vet check! Something like that happened, I think. Look at the
ride results for this one and there was close to a 50% pull rate for the LD.
Those were the frontrunners.

Then look at the 50 mile results. Yeah, I bet Amy and Becky rode faster in
mph's than the ones who actually finished the LD, but their horses are also
fit enough to do it. (Both looked fabulous at the end.)

OK, so the 50 milers at Scioto Run (rugged terrain) paced themselves better
than the front half of the LDer's that didn't finish. Compare this to the
easy 50 I did in June (first time, first time at that ride). Most everyone
took out of camp like a bat out of hell. I should have hung back, but riding
by myself, I wanted to try and keep someone in sight or have a chance at
leapfrogging. So I left at the back of the main pack, maybe 3 or 4 people
left behind me. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I didn't ride my own ride. I finished
second last because I slowed waaaaayyy down the second 25 for my horse
(well, me too, because I was TIRED). I went too fast to begin with. The
rider in front of me finished 1 1/2 hours ahead of me and he actually
started out close to a half hour behind me, but with a young horse, he paced
himself. (Wish I would have thought to ask him if I could ride with or near
him. Live and learn.)

So, I'm actually thinking I might eventually agree with Heidi on this point
too, that a more difficult first 50 might have been better for us. The
riders know to pace themselves. I guess I thought it was always done that
way. I wasn't prepared for the bat outta hell start from even the middle to
back of the packers. (Live and learn.) Then again, with this hock problem, I
don't know what would have happened had I done the tough 50 first.

But the next horse.....? I want the freedom to be able to do what's right by
the horse whether it's LD, CTR or a tough first endurance ride.

Nice discussion. Take care all.

Deanna