Re: [RC] Decline of entries in 100 milers - Karla Watson

At any rate, the "it's to hard" sentiment goes along with the "scared to try
one" sentiment.  When I became interested in endurance riding, it was the
challenge that interested me then, interests me now, and the ultimate
challenge in endurnace for me is 100 miles.

Maureen,
This is absolutely how I feel!! I am new to this sport and into my 2nd year (1st year only 2 rides) and will do 50s this year. Everyone I talk to talks about how hard they are, how bad/sick everyone gets, how easy it is for horses to crash, etc. But call me crazy--I want to do one!! (or two?) It is the ultimate goal for me.

Thanks Julie Suhr for sending that wonderful email to the group regarding 100 milers! Your book is VERY inspiring and I read it in just about one sitting. I remember reading articles about Tevis in the 70s when I was young and wanting very badly to do it.

As far as finding time to ride, I am self-employed and work as a hair stylist. I work 10-12 hour days and pile all my clients on 3 days per week so I can condition other days (spread out). My legs aren't very happy working those long hours but it works for riding.

Karla Watson
Portland, Oregon
AERC #31812