Re: [RC] Decline of entries in 100 milers - Karen Williams

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Decline of entries in 100 milers

> I would be interested in knowing how many of my
> fellow RideCampers are
> self-employed and how many hold down regular day
> jobs. And if you do hold
> down day jobs, how do you get away from work to
> travel to a ride?

I'm not self-employed, and I work full-time.  Years ago I got tired of coming home in the winter in the dark and riding my horse in a small ring under a feeble light in the freezing cold  -- only able to trail ride on weekends.  I switched to the night shift -- so now I sleep till noon every day, have a leisurely breakfast and then go out and ride in the daylight.  Granted, I don't have time for long trail rides during the week, but its daylight and I can get out of the ring and up and down the roads around my house for a few hours if I want.   As an added bonus -- the stores are empty when I shop and I never have to take off time for doctor/dentist/vet/farrier appointments, the only rush hour traffic I see is always going in the opposite direction and I get free parking.  I've been working nights for 15 years now and don't think I would ever go back to days.  I'm a systems engineer for a DC law firm and they are tickled pink to have someone who wants to work at night.  As for getting away for travel -- we have very generous vacation time and unless some serious upgrading is being done to the computer system, getting time off has never been a problem.

I didn't think I'd ever want to do a 100 miler, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe its a goal I could reach (assuming I survive my first LD!)

Karen

Karen Williams
Spotsylvania, VA
www.mattariver.com