Re: [RC] Adios, 'lytes and rump rugs - Sisu West Ranch

Wendy and I were crewing at Pit stops 2,3,6,7 for the central team.  We did the usual things of offering water, food, 'lytes, and help to all of the central riders and Greece, Romania, Japan and Germany.  We also got a chance to watch all the horses and how they reacted.

We noticed that most of the riders seemed to be offering more 'lytes than we ourselves use.  Most of the riders were using either premixed paste types, or just with water.  During lulls in activity we discussed the following observations:

1. A couple of horses had ulcers in the mouth from 'lytes.
2. Most of the horses tended to try to avoid the 'lytes.
3. The premade pasty 'lytes were often spit out.
4. Crusts of salts had to be removed from the lips of some horses.
5. One rider asked me to administer the 'lytes just before she left, because the horse won't eat or drink after.
6. One rider used 'lytes mixed with apple sause.  She also feed a couple of doses of just apple sause after the 'lytes.  This horse (who finished in great shape) actively sought the 'lytes and continued to eat and drink after their administration.

Our conclusion was that our practice of administering moderate amounts, in apple sause right after the horse has drank at a stop is a good practice.

One horse management practice difference that we noticed was the use of rump rugs and blankets.  Competitors from warm climates appeared to be much less likely to use blankets at night, and rump rugs and blankets at stops.  Competing in MN and WI we had learned to be liberal with the application of insulation to horses especially at the first few cold rides in the fall.  I have no scientific data, but feel that in addition to the obvious association with cramps, chilling predisposes to colic.  Bettina Koehn riding for Germany completed on DJB Choctaw Traveling Man, even though he was from the south and a very heavy horse.  While she did not have a rump rug at the "P" stop, she was very careful not to let him chill, and I assume blanketed him at the cool vet stops,  I do know that he was blanketed after the race.  By the way it was quite chilly at P7 when he went through at 1:00 AM Sunday.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875