Re: [RC] Adios - Heidi Smith

>Susan, Heidi, all

>Here is another "problem" as I see it. Why would you add grain to a horse that is having stomach problems already? Grains are very hard for the horse to digest, seems to me that by giving the horse oats or any other form of grain would only complicate the already compromised gut.

>The more that I research the nutritional arena of horses, the more I am convinced that we are killing our horses with kindness.

>I have stopped feeding my sport horses any type of grains before during or right after an event. Instead they get a nice slurry of Stabalized Rice Bran, Horse Guard Vitamins and Minerals. The Rice Bran being the conductor of fat which equals energy and stays in the system longer and is easy for them to metabolize.

Susan can likely explain the digestive processes here better than I can, but I'll take a run at it.

First of all, the key here is "compromised gut."  My goal as a rider is to NOT have a compromised gut--and part of doing that is letting the horse eat.  As long as he is feeling good and he has a voracious appetite, I've done a good job in NOT compromising his gut.  And as long as that is the case, he can pretty much eat what he wants.

As for grain being "hard" to digest--actually, simple carbs are pretty EASY to digest.  The problem comes when there is too much there to be handled in the small intestine.  So SMALL feedings of grain are appropriate.  I take about 2 lbs to checks, and I dump it on a flake of  hay, and by the time my horse mixes and wastes as he snuffles through it, I'd suspect he eats no more than a pound, most times.  (And it is part grain and part Equine Senior, so not "all" grain, either.)   The grain in small quantities gives him some readily useable energy, and the very activity of putting something in his stomach stimulates the entire GI tract to function, hence stimulating the digestive processes in his hindgut (pre-filled, for several days pre-ride) which further stimulates energy production (the volatile fatty acid story).

What should be AVOIDED on race day is fat.  This is good stuff as a part of his daily program (if needed), but it slows gastric emptying and therefore slows down the whole works.

JMHO, but I'd rather see my horse hoover down a pound of grain at the checks than I would care to stuff a big shot of e-lytes down his gullet.

Heidi