From all the research that I have been doing, and that is constant for the past eight months when I was having my problems with colic, I can tell you that LESS is better.

I have yet to do a fifty, that will start next year, but after Gene Nance's informative and thought provoking talk at Bandit Springs, I do not elyte my horses for a 25 or 30 miler any longer. I do not elyte for the ride over to an event, even if it means a 5-6 hour ride, nor do I when we get there, or before we leave to ride back.

I found that I had problems when I gave the elytes, and no problems with not giving them. As Gene said, we cannot supplement elytes to totally replenish what the horses have lost.

If I were to give elytes to a horse, it would be a half dose in Maalox and only if I really felt the horse was in need of such supplementing, always weighing the pros and cons of the electrolyte.

amber
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Adios

Heidi,
In your's, and other's, experience, how MUCH e'lytes are supplied in grain and hay?  Am I understanding you correctly -- I should add my 2 oz of e'lytes to grain or mash at rides?  As long as my horse is "racing" within his ability on that day, I'm ok in dousing him with 2 oz of e'lytes plus what he gets in the food he eates?

This is a very interesting thread.  Many horses in all disciplines will benefit from this.  Darolyn, I'm SO sorry we've had to learn through your tradegy.  Thank you for having enough character to share your insights with us.  You were a wonderful caregiver to Adios and he was a fortunate horse to have you in his life.  I know he loved endurance!

Heidi Smith <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Large concentrated boluses of e-lytes are NOT a normal thing for the GI tract to handle, and repeated doses to an increasingly-compromised gut will, in my opinion and experience, make things worse instead of better.  If the horse NEEDS the e-lytes that drastically, then he needs to stop long enough to consume them in food, or needs to stop altogether and have IV intervention.

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink; secretary, RRRSA
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?

---