[RC] Adios - Darolyn Butler-Dial

From Darolyn:
Thanks to everyone for their messages of support and understanding, but
most of all, thanks for your curiosity and investigative interest in
delving into this water thing.  Please please don't go over board and
not allow your horses to drink plenty, but be on the look out for an
obsessive amount of drinking... That's where the problem is.  A very
good veterinarian friend of mine, Dr. Tom Dombroski sent this to me a
few minutes ago.  I think this sums it up from a medical point of view
almost perfectly.  Read up.

Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 10:33 PM
To: Darolyn Butler-Dial
Subject: Re: Adios

Hey Darolyn;

I don't know what to say . . .    I am so sorry
perhaps part of what is happening; and are predisposing the horses to
the ruptured stomachs is this:  1) horse is stressed by the miles or the
conditions or whatever. amount of electrolytes may or may not be playing
a roll here. perhaps more it might be calcium levels and perhaps also
blood glucose level.  stay with me.
                                           2) ileus (condition where
the gut literally shuts down ---no peristalsis) develops. thirst center
in brain is telling horse he needs more water so he drinks! problem is;
because the gut isn't transporting it; it stays there in the stomach;
or, very slowly works it's way down the GIT.
                                           3) with time and or rest,
the ileus subsides and the water is transported along. the stomach
empties and the horse feels more comfortable. his condition is still
tenuous; more stress may push him back into another case of ileus. each
time, becoming more difficult to reverse. maybe it never completely
disappeared to begin with. more oral fluids just aggravate the stomach;
stretching it; causing vasculature compromise in its walls; thus causing
them to weaken; perhaps leading to rupture.
Darolyn, I believe if my theory as to the mechanism of disaster is
correct; then your recommendation to give only IV fluids to a stressed
endurance is absolutely mandatory.
for whatever its worth.
                      a friend always;
                                  Tom

Darolyn Butler-Dial & Mark Dial
     CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE
            Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.
Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties
Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced
Biological Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)
ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")
21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338
       Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768

     e mail: darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
www.horseridingfun.com